2007-11-02

Trick-or-treat



I feel a little bad that I didn't go all out on Halloween this year. It's one of my favorite holidays to spend with Rob. We like to have fun together with our kooky costumes. For M's first Halloween in 2005, we dressed up as the "bun out of the oven, with the proud chef." Rob hooked up a little light in the oven that actually turned on and off. M had little felt sesame seeds on the top of her bun hat and Rob's little chef's tunic was put together from a sketch I made while watching Emeril.


Halloween 2006 was my favorite costume year yet. Rob was Willy Wonka and M and I were Oompa Loompas. M refused to wear her green wig (who could blame her?), but she still looked like an oompa loompa to us. Rob must have spent 2-3 hours whittling down that closet doweling for his cane and probably applied a dozen coats of wax to his cane. We take this Halloween business very seriously! Rob's jacket and vest were from a McCall's pattern, his bow tie and hat were from altered pattern pieces. The oompa loompa outfits were from some sketches I made while staring at the movie on pause for an hour or so. The stripes on the collars, cuffs and stockings were painted and the balls on the shoes were styrofoam balls with knee-high stockings wrapped around them and painted. This was pretty time consuming but we had so much fun wearing the costumes and having people laugh at us.


This year, it was a little more difficult to get into the spirit with Rob so far away. I did manage to make his requested costume and send it to him. He wanted to be an ice cube. It will be a VERY long time until I sew with vinyl again. I don't really even know how it turned out, so when I get a photo of him, I will share it with all of you. M was the Cheshire Cat this year. I was going to be Alice, but I just didn't have the time to make a costume for myself. Even with the other two costumes, I took a lot of shortcuts. I think M's puffy costume came out ok. I really wanted to make her trick-or-treat bag the cat's head since he takes his head off and stands on it in the movie. Alas, there just aren't enough hours in a day.



Our battalion had a "Trunk-or-Treat" last Saturday (Oct. 27th). Even though M went trick-or-treating last year with her Daddy, it still seemed new to her. She got the hang of the whole notion of trick-or-treating very quickly. She couldn't believe haw magical those words could be in obtaining candy. She even tried trick-or-treating in the kitchen while mommy was making dinner. I spoiled her fun and wouldn't let her spoil her dinner.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment