2008-08-04

Two little bits of happiness on a Monday

1) Recipe: Here is what we had for breakfast this morning:

Strawberry and Cream Cheese Filled French Toast
1 loaf French bread
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
4 ounces cream cheese softened
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
3-4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
Butter for pan
Cut the bread into 1 1/2- to 2-inch slices. Cut a pocket into each one by slicing from the top of the bread almost to the bottom. Combine jam, cream cheese, strawberries and bananas in a small bowl. Place heaping tablespoon of strawberry filling into each pocket. Press sides back together. Beat eggs and milk in wide shallow bowl. Dip filled bread slice into bowl, coating both sides. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add as many slices as will fit and brown on all sides. Remove slices from pan and stack it bottom up on its side in a glass pan and keep warm in oven while cooking remaining French Toast. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and or strawberry sauce (puree one bag of frozen strawberries with 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar in a blender. Pour strawberry puree into small saucepan. Heat over medium - medium high until bubbly and somewhat thickened, stirring constantly).

2) Printable: Most of you who know me are aware that I like to organize everything, including my grocery shopping. I like to plan out meals for the week and buy groceries according to my menus. When I fail to create my menu plan and just decide to go to the store without the list, I feel so lost and frantically try to dream up ideas for a few days worth of meals. Once I'm home and it's time to start preparing dinner or whatever, I often forget what I had hastilly planned in the grocery store. Lists keep me sane, even if the average person thinks I'm insane with all of my lists. Trust me, you don't want to be around when I get flustered (right, Honey?).

Anyway, I thought I would share my little list and menu planner with you -- click here. The categories are arranged by aisle/section for the Commissary here at Fort Riley to make things that much easier. If I go to the store with a random list, uncategorized, I will either forget something or will be zig-zagging all over the store in no particular order. If you wish to print the list, just hold your cursor over "iPaper" at the top and you'll see the icon to print.
Happy Monday, everyone!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment