2008-09-04

Honey, you would be so proud of her!

Today was M's first visit to the dentist. We have been talking with her about the dentist for a little over a year. Thinking that her first experience would be similar to doctor's visits, we were procrastinating this dental visit. Once M started becoming excited about going to the dentist and actually asking to go (and stopped screaming as though she were having a limb amputated when the nurse was placing a blood pressure finger cuff on her index finger during routine exams) I decided to make an appointment. Plus (here comes an embarrassing confession from me), I really needed to get back in to the dentist since it has been nearly three years. And, (even more embarrassing) before that, it had been a little over 10 years since my last dental visit (we're talkin' high school). Thankfully, I have good strong teeth and have always had good dental hygiene. So...I found a family dentist in Manhattan that would see us both the same day and was very good with children.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Would she even open her mouth for them? The hygienist was great, letting her touch and look at all of the tools that they were going to use. She even let her squirt a little water on the tray and suck it up with the suction hose. She was such a little trooper and opened her mouth whenever they asked. She let them complete a full examination and cleaning. She walked away with a bag full of loot (toothbrush, toys, the ever important spotting scope, coupon for a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut and stickers) and a "cavity free" club certificate. Yay!
P.S. Yes, I completed my exam and cleaning today as well...smooth sailing. I even scheduled the next appointments and have info on oral surgeons to have my wisdom teeth removed (the biggest reason why I dread the dentist - I knew this was a must have procedure). I'll wait 'til Rob is home before I have them removed. Lucky me, I have all four - impacting my other molars - so I get to go to the surgeon twice (can only do 2 at a time).
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I am SO proud of her! What a great kid! And a great job by her Mommy too! i2, my loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have gone to Dr. Swan. Grace did wonderfully there and is part of the "No Cavity Club"! They do a wonderful job with the kids. I too had waited 3 years to go back to the dentist, hence why I needed a root canal during my pregnancy (sigh). I have learned a valuable lesson though....just go in for cleanings! They're covered by our insurance every six months and they're a heck of a lot easier than a root canal and crown!

    Go Maia for being brave!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great job! Dentists are scary for grown-ups so she must be pretty brave =)

    ReplyDelete