2008-10-12

Pumpkin Patch, Round 1 and a WINNER!


Yesterday was our first visit to an actual pumpkin patch. You would think that we would have had plenty of opportunities living in South Dakota. Truth is, there aren't any where we're from. I suppose last year, when we went to the Louisburg Cider Fest they did have a pumpkin patch but we didn't go to the pumpkin patch for some strange reason. The farm was so crowded the day we decided to go that we just decided to stop at the general store (or whatever they called it) for some homemade root beer and fresh pressed apple cider and cider doughnuts. Honestly, it seemed like the place was all hype at the time but I suppose if you went on a weekday when it wasn't so crowded, it might have been more fun. Nonetheless, we still enjoyed ourselves since our good friend joined M & I for the day trip.

Anyway, we were invited on a trip to Schaake's Pumpkin Patch and shopping in Topeka yesterday with our dear friends, the Phillips' family. How fantastic to see acres and acres of 35 varieties of pumpkins randomly integrated, plenty for the crowds that must visit the patch on a daily basis. Almost immediately, M chose the most perfect round pie pumpkin with a nice long stem and insisted that she carry it herself (grunting the whole way). I think if she hadn't found her pumpkin right away, she might have been more receptive to the idea of looking at all of the different shapes, textures and colors of the pumpkins surrounding us. She was ready to leave as soon as she chose her pumpkin. Thankfully she calmed down for a couple of photos after being bribed with fresh apple cider slush...mmmmmmm, what a treat!

Next week we have the opportunity to visit another pumpkin patch just a short drive from here. I have learned a couple of things for this next trip:

  1. 1. I have so much more to learn about my new camera (sorry about the graininess on the photos)
  2. 2. I need to take more photos!

Giveaway: I was waiting to announce the winner of my first giveaway until I had finished making the prize, but I decided not to leave you all hanging. The winner is my dear friend, Valerie! She was the first to correctly guess M's costume (flying monkey from the Wizard of Oz). I'm not sure if she will approve of this, but I have to mention how awesome she is. We met in Germany and shared the bond of our first pregnancies together. Valerie is my age and was diagnosed with breast cancer late last year. Last month she completed her last dose of radiation and has been doing the "done dance" as she proudly calls it. She has been such an inspiration to myself and to so many others that I just wanted to share a tiny piece of her story with you. Valerie, I'm so blessed to have you as one of my best friends! :)

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. sounds like great fun! looks like the weather was a lil sunnier, warmer and nicer where i was, great weekend for a pumpkin patch =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about AWESOME - You are!
    You have blessed me immensely from across the miles. I can't wait for the day when we can see each other again and our little ones can get reacquainted.
    Love, Valerie

    ReplyDelete