2009-11-06

Rob's birthday

Wednesday was Rob's birthday but he had to fly that evening. Since we knew our day would be short with him, we started off the day with yummy Æbleskivers, a danish ball-shaped pancake. M calls them pancake balls. Here's my favorite recipe, adapted from here:



Æbleskivers
4 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour
several pea-sized pieces of butter for the pan



Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside. Combine remaining ingredients until batter is completely smooth. Gently fold in egg whites. Heat Æbleskiver pan over medium heat with one pea-sized drop of butter in each of the 7 holes. Fill each hole about 3/4 full with batter. Be sure to add a pea-sized drops of butter to each well in the pan before the next round of batter.
When browned on one side (almost right away), turn with knitting needle or fork (a tiny cocktail fork works best for me) and cook until browned on the opposite side. We like these with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar and raspberries (place one 10-14 oz. bag of frozen raspberries in a medium saucepan with a 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1-2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Heat until mixture bubbles and thickens) This last time I made them I didn't have any raspberries so I just warmed some raspberry preserves to go with our little pancake balls.



I received my pan as a gift several years ago but I have seen them at Target and they are widely available at several retailers online.







Warning: while this recipe will make around 45-50 Æbleskivers, small children will scarf them down (I guess adults enjoy their fair share). M will easily polish off over a dozen by herself if I'm not paying attention.


Before Rob had to run off to work, I made one of his favorite dishes, Chicken David (renamed, "Chicken Rob"). This is an ultra-rich recipe with chicken, hard salami and pancetta with a Marsala tomato cream sauce. A couple of bites suffice for me but Rob loves it--must be all the meat. If you wish to give it a try and make your husband the happiest man alive (I totally promise), you can find it here on Allrecipes. Oh, I use dry Marsala wine instead of the Sherry called for in the original recipe because I think it has a nuttier, fuller flavor and I keep it on hand for other recipes.

Poor guy, he didn't even have time to eat lunch with us so he had to take it on the go and eat during his briefing. We'll celebrate more this weekend. After all, we have to make up for the past two birthdays that he missed while he was deployed.


After Rob left for work, M and I took Tigger outside to try and perk him up. I took Tigger outside to sit next to me and waited for M. She came out a few minutes later, so proud. She tied her shoe all by herself. When I told her ho proud I was of her she said "I just kept trying and trying and I didn't give up!" Then she tied the other one in front of me. Both Rob and I have explained what we do when we tie her shoes (bunny ears style, like my Uncle Dave taught me), but I think Rob should take credit for this one since he was just working with her the day before.

Once M was outside and saw Tigger, she wanted to sit with him. He seemed to enjoy being with us but didn't even have the energy or stomach to nibble on a piece of grass, something he has Never turned down. When Tigger saw M sitting on the steps, he slowly wobbled over to her and lay down next to her. Such sweetness.



What a lovely day.
The previous post was probably misnamed. I no longer intend to include a "Backtracking Part 2" since that would probably mean never being able to catch up. So, I'll continue with my random rantings.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I like your random rantings! Rant on girl!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 things:

    1. Happy Birthday Rob!
    2. Yay, Maia!!!!
    3. So sorry to hear about Tig, my thoughts are with you all.

    Oh yeah, one more thing. Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete