2010-01-07

Handmade Christmas (image heavy)

There's definitely a more efficient way of doing this but this shall be my method for the day.
Since everyone (well, most everyone) has received their gifts by now, here's a sampling of what was produced in the ol' workshop this year:
  • Lavendar Flax Seed Eye Pillows (cold therapy for headaches)
  • Wallet -- I made this one up as I went along. I carefully drafted a pattern for what I wanted but I kept making adjustments the whole time I was sewing the darn thing. There is definitely room for improvement (Front view is in the previous photos with the Buttercup bags).
  • Bow Ties -- This was kind of a joke, something my brother wanted for work. No, he doesn't have a corporate or office job, he's a paleo-tech -- works with dinosaurs. I used the tutorial from Martha and it was definitely too short. Her pattern needs some adjusting.
  • Drawing portfolio -- (drafted this one as well but was inspired by Pink Chalk's pencil roll)
  • I Spy Bags -- I had seen these somewhere in blogland a while back and decided to come up with my own version by adding the trim to frame the window and a grommet to attach the list of items
  • Little Dresses/Nighties -- I made two from a dress pattern in a Japanese sewing book (sorry I can't give you the title, I can't read Japanese). I thought the pattern was suitable for a nightie depending on what fabric I used. Even though they're in flannel, I suppose they could be worn as dresses.
  • Cash concealers -- (tried think of a clever way to give cash) Took the bills of choice and folded them to fit small acrylic boxes (For one, I just wrapped the bills in plastic, which made it much easier to mold the Model Magic around -- no corners to try to disguise). Then, I molded Model Magic around the bundle of bills, allowed them to dry and had M decorate them. She said she was making jewels on the stars. We poked holes in the top to be used as ornaments and included a note saying that it was a gift within a gift. The Model Magic is slightly spongy when it's dry and extremely lightweight so it's really not that hard to cut into to retrieve a little prize.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. you always amaze me sarah! great work! Oh, i got a sewing machine for christmas...so now i can try to learn =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! A great starter book with some cute projects is Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I am so jealous! You are such a CRAFTY person. I am crafty in a quilting way, but you are the ALL AROUND GIRL!

    I love your eye spy bags! I hope you don't mind, but I might have to make a few of those for the boys. They would be great for passing time while waiting for appointments or resturants. So COOL! Can I ask what you used for the plastic bag part?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing collection of gifts! Your color book is so much better than mine! The top stitching really makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete