2012-04-20

Totally rad...bringing back the 80's -- elementary style

Are her poses influenced from Project Runway?  I'm seriously terrified of her teenage years.
Today was '80's day' at Maia's school.  Honestly, I don't know who was more excited, Maia or myself.  Okay, I probably was.  I opened up my little childhood keepsake box yesterday afternoon, hoping to find my old S.O.S. (Save Our Statue -- fund-raiser to help repair/restore the Statue of Liberty from acid rain erosion) button, but it wasn't there.  However, my most favorite shirt from the times was in the box -- so perfect -- so fitting for Maia's theme of the day and it was truly "vintage," -- 1984 to be exact.  Doesn't the word vintage irritate you?  It's just a pretentious way of saying old and dated and definitely not old and awesome enough to be considered antique.
 
That's me, same shirt, in the first grade and my first missing tooth.

I told you it was my favorite shirt.  That's me again on the left, same shirt, with my friend Lori S.  I wonder what happened to her after she moved away in the second grade.  By the way, this photo was taken on my 7th birthday and the shirt is a size 5T.  I continued to wear it through all of 2nd grade and mom packed it away when I was in the 3rd grade.  I'm not sure why I thought it was so great.
After she got dressed and we fixed her hair, we hopped downstairs and turned on the 80's station while the girls ate breakfast.  Maia kept using "totally" for her adverb/adjective of choice, so Rob and I explained to her that she would have no trouble adjusting to the time period.  We rattled off a few catchy sayings of the 80s and I couldn't help reminiscing about once wishing that I was one of the cool kids back then.  Alas, I'm still a nerd, but not as socially awkward as I was back then.  Thank you, military life for forcing me to break that shell.

Maia, thank you for being my bubbly, sometimes spastic, sweet, caring little girl and for making me smile as you fluffed your hair this morning while we walked you to class.  I love you!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You were as adorable then as you are now! And Maia looked TOTALLY 80s!!!

    ReplyDelete