2012-09-10

Avocado for two

Avocados, glorious, glorious avocados, if only I could have enjoyed them as a kid.  At least I can certainly appreciate them now and I have a special little someone who likes to share them with me.  When both of my girls were babies, they both loved avocados.  In fact, Libby's first solid food was avocado.  Since she was six months old, we have been sharing an avocado for breakfast at least once per week.  Here's my favorite way to enjoy an avocado:



You need:
  1. 2 English muffins (my favorite are Thomas 100 calorie Triple Health muffins)
  2. 1 avocado
  3. fresh lemon juice
  4. Kosher salt
  5. freshly ground pepper
  6. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)


To make the loveliness pictured above:
First, split toast the English muffins.  Next, halve the avocado and remove the pit.  Then gently slice and cross cut each half being careful not to cut through the skin.  Scoop out the little avocado pieces with a spoon and arrange 1/4th of the avocado on one half of an English muffin.  Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the avocado, then season with salt and pepper to taste.  Repeat with the remaining muffin halves.

Sometimes I drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on Libby's avocado toasts because she needs a little extra good fat in her diet. 
I wouldn't dare make avocado toasts without sharing them with her.  She'll beg me for a taste, "pre-eee pweeeeease!!!" And one taste is never enough.  That means there isn't enough for me either then so I always make two.  How could I even think of saying no to that face?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment